Monday, December 15, 2008

Angels among us

At the holidays I try to teach the kids about the needs of others and the true meaning of the season....the birth of Christ and the sacrifices we make for fellow men. We do the food bank, buy coats for the children and usually do a giving tree. This year, we picked up a Salvation Army angel tag describing the needs of a child this Christmas. Ethan was fascinated by the tag and asked if the angel looked over us. I said it angels look over us all but especially this little girl. Then I explained how her family might not have enough money to buy her needed items and we were going to help and get her some pjs, a sweater and pants and a Dora doll that she wants. I asked him if he thought we could find stuff like that and he said, yes...in the store. And then he asked if she was his friend and I said she might not know him but it is nice to think of all people as friends. And since we had a little to spare, we were going to ensure she had a nice holiday.

Ethan's response:
Yes...we need to. You need to take money out of my piggy bank so we can buy nice things for her....let's go now. I don't need anything.

Wow...maybe I am doing something right here. After we shopped and brought the gifts back to the drop off location, Ethan said, "It was fun to buy her things. She is 3 years old like me, Daddy, and we are both three...nobody else is. I love her."

I melt.